Tote betting in South Africa is very popular in horse racing competitions. SA punters place tote bets on several local and international thoroughbred race tournaments that take place on an annual basis. Just as in the pari-mutuel betting systems, tote betting online is popular because the odds vary based on the number of punters in the pool that win. Players opt for tote bets vs fixed odds because racebooks are the ones that determine the odds.
Find out how tote bets work in horse racing and start winning today. We have combined the collective wisdom of our expert tipsters to explain what tote betting is and how to calculate the odds. Here’s a full list of the best sports betting sites in South Africa that offer tote betting options.
Best Horse Tote Betting Sites in SA
Up to $100
Bet €10 Get €10
What you will find on this page:
What Is Tote Betting?
Our tote betting definition is pretty straightforward. It is a betting system in which punters choose the horses that win and place a bet in a cumulative pool that includes other bettors. The payout for a winning ticket is shared among the punters with winning bets. The total amount that punters get is based on the number of people that won the pot. The shared winnings are referred to as dividends. Punters should note that not all bets have the same weight. Learn how it works below.
How Does Tote Betting Work?
When you choose the tote betting system, you have to pay attention to the odds advertised for a specific horse race. The betting options are either you pick the fixed odds that sportsbooks pre-set before the race begins or the tote bets that fluctuate as each punter joins the pot. The most popular tote bets for single races is the win bet or place betting option. Here’s the step-by-step guide to winning making tote bets:
- Choose a horse from the field (take into consideration the odds).
- Place a bet to win or the place the horse will reach in the race. Your betslip will display the horse’s name in order to keep track of the race.
- If the horse is tipped as the ‘favourite’, you will not have a big share of the pie. This means that it has the lowest payout.
- Therefore, the fewer the number of punters that picked the winning horse, the more your share is.
Types of Tote Bets Online
While it may seem like a good idea to choose the popular bet, the percentage payout does not make the wager a good one. Here are some variations of tote bets that may provide a higher dividend when you win:
- Tote Exacta – punters have to guess the order the horses will finish in first and second position.
- Tote Trifecta – predict the first three horses in the correct order.
- Each-Way – this bet involves picking a combination of a Tote Win bet and a Tote Place bet.
- Tote Placepot – over the course of the first six horse races on your race card, the bettor must predict the winner of each race event.